This is not the station of the same name to be found on the Jubilee Line. Rather, it was the first station out of Baker Street on what became the main line of the Metropolitan Railway.
By 1930 trains ran from Baker Street to five northern termini - Uxbridge, Watford, Chesham, Verney Junction in Buckinghamshire, and Brill near Oxford. The addition of a sixth branch, from Wembley to Stanmore, meant that the two-track section through St.John's Wood was a major bottleneck. Therefore in the late 1930s new tunnels were driven from Finchley Road to meet the Bakerloo Line at Baker Street. On 20th November 1939 the Bakerloo took over the service to Stanmore, with eight of the nine intermediate Metropolitan Line stations closing either immediately or by the end of the following year.
To prepare residents for the move to the eponymous tube station nearby, St.Johns Wood was renamed Lords on 11th June 1939, before closing after the last train on the 19th November.
Back to Lobo. Back to the Rail index. Back to Clive's home page.