Mark Lane station, as the picture suggests, lay in the area of the Tower of London. Indeed, on the 1st September 1946 it was renamed Tower Hill.
However, it should not be thought that the same station bears the name today. In the 1960s a brand-new station was built some 170m east, on the site of a temporary station of the 1880s called Tower of London, and on 5th February 1967 trains started using it instead.
The westbound platforms at Mark Lane were obliterated by the works, but the eastbound ones can still be seen from passing trains.
Back to Lobo. Back to the Rail index. Back to Clive's home page.