Green Park station in the 1930s was not the bustling interchange we are used to today - neither the Jubilee nor Victoria Lines were even thought about, and it was merely one of a string of stops between Piccadilly Circus and Kensington.
The original station at this location was called Dover Street and was served by three lifts. During 1932 and 1933 a set of escalator shafts were driven up from the platforms to a new exit futher west and, on completion, the station was renamed (on 18th September 1933). This renaming gives us an earliest possible date for the creation of Lobo.
One effect of the move, and a similar rebuilding of Hyde Park Corner, was that the intermediate station of Down Street could be closed.
Back to Lobo. Back to the Rail index. Back to Clive's home page.