From opening, Aldgate East lay at the corner of the Aldgate triangle, where the Circle Line met the District and Metropolitan branches eastwards to Whitechapel and, eventually, Upminster.
The layout here was very cramped and during 1938 a major exercise was carried out to move the entire station east approximately 150m and allow longer trains to stand at the junction. The relocated station opened on 31st October.
Back to Lobo. Back to the Rail index. Back to Clive's home page.